Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Birthdays

Yesterday was my birthday, and I am now 26. Oct 5th also marks the day that my grandfather, Chet, died, two years ago. I will never forget the phone call in the morning from his wife, Dottie, who was pretty sure he was gone, and then walking up the hill to see him for the last time. Some birthday present.... Actually, as sad as it was to see him go and to not have him around any more, he was just SO ready to go, that it did actually feel more like a release or a departure, and not so much an ending. Chet died in his sleep at home on his tempur-pedic mattress, and there was no place he would rather have been.

For my birthday dinner, I was treated to sushi and sake with friends at Edomasa in Santa Barbara. It is one of my favorite restaurants here, and the deluxe Yellowtail last night was delicious. Mmmm, I think I'm ready to go back again!

It is my cousins Claire and Deva's birthday today. I also have vivid memories of hearing that my aunt was getting ready to have the girls on my birthday, and then going to see them after they were born in the hospital the next day. It was the first time that I ever held a newborn - it was one of the most magical things I have experienced. So tiny, so perfect, so precious. Two miracles, the giving of life and the taking of life, memories of both that are evoked around this time of year for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment